Monday, March 5, 2012

On the Telephone

My mother has pictures of me talking on the telephone to my grandmother, when I was little. She told me I loved talking on the phone. We had the one with the round dial, that then transformed into one with push buttons and then finally when I was in my early twenties I got my own cell phone. I sometimes think, "I wonder what men and women who were born in the early 1900's must think of the cell phone?" 
The telephone is something I am so use to having that 
I don't realize the magic behind it. 
“Mr. Watson, come here, I want you.” With these words, spoken by inventor Alexander Graham Bell into his experimental telephone on March 10, 1876, an industry was born. For down the hall, Bell’s assistant, Thomas Watson, distinctly heard Bell utter the first spoken sentence ever transmitted via electricity. That achievement was the culmination of an invention process Bell had begun at least four years earlier.
...From the telephone’s earliest days, Bell understood his invention’s vast potential. He wrote in 1878: “I believe in the future wires will unite the head offices of telephone companies in different cities, and a man in one part of the country may communicate by word of mouth with another in a distant place.”

(Courtesy of: AT&T-inventing
the telephone)
(Photos courtesy of: weheartit.com) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...