Friday, July 15, 2011

Duty "the man who won the war" (by Bob Greene)

I picked up a book with the inscription on the cover that read "a father, his son, and the man who won the war." I was intrigued. I have been reading a little bit of it each night this week and I think I can say both my head and my heart have been touched. 
The book is about a columnist (Bob Greene) who interviewed the man who led the mission that dropped the atomic bomb on Hiroshima-Paul Tibbets. 
Without giving away the book (because I want you to have a chance to read it) I will share some of my favorite moments so far.

~When asked what he was afraid of, Paul Tibbets answered 
"I'd have to tell you; nothing".  
Later he changed his answer to:
 "Bobcats. If I was supposed to walk through a place where there were bobcats, I'd be afraid."

~Bob Greene shared with Paul Tibbets about his own father
 "Even though you were so important in the war and he wasn't..." 
"Don't say that," Tibbets said. 
Paul Tibbets wrote Bob's father this note: 
To Major Green, A World War II warrior, with best wishes from Brig. Gen. Tibbets, USAF
Bob writes what happened when he gave that note to his father:
"I handed it to him. He moved it toward his face and looked at it. First I saw the smile. Then the glistening, the shining in his brown eyes."
(Photos courtesy of: google) 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...