Thursday, March 31, 2011

Blue Like Jazz

I picked up Blue Like Jazz (by Donald Miller) this evening to re-read some of my most favorite parts. As I was flipping through it, I saw I had underlined, and written thoughts
on the side of the pages when I had originally first read this book...I remember
I laughed, cried, and tattered the edges of the pages.

"I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve, But I was outside the Bagdad Theater in Portland one night when I saw a man playing the saxophone. I stood there for fifteen minutes, and he never opened his eyes. After that I liked jazz music. Sometimes you have to watch somebody love someting before you can love it yourself." 
"In America, the first generation out of slavery invented jazz music. It is a free-form expression. It comes from the soul, and it is true."

"But what song will you sing when your soul gets set free? 
I think it will be something true and beautiful."

~Donald Miller
(photos courtesy of:weheartit)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...