Monday, May 7, 2012

In Her Eyes

Last week at work, I saw two elderly women walk into my store. 
I noticed one of the ladies was holding on to the arm of the lady 
walking beside her. In my head, I was thinking she just needed 
some extra physical support to maybe steady herself while 
she was walking.
 I approached them and asked if there was anything
 I could help them with. They asked if I carried any 
decorative balls, and I said yes. I took them over to 
the table filled with displays of brightly colored balls.
 I heard one of the ladies say to the one who was 
holding on to her arm, "Explain what your room 
looks like, and then this lady can describe what
 the balls look like."
 In that moment I realized, the other lady was blind. 
For the next 30 minutes all three of us stood there, 
picking out decorations for her home. She would 
explain what her living room looked like, and then
 I would describe the colors, and details of each item.
She would gently hold and touch each one, and
with each item her eyes and lips would smile.
 She didn't explain how she lost her vision. She just said, 
"I'm so excited! This is going to look beautiful in my home." 
In the opening scene of the movie Gone Baby Gone
there is a narration, and it says this:
When I was young, I asked my priest how you could 
get to heaven and still protect yourself from all the evil 
in the world. He told me what God said to his children, 
"You are sheep among wolves, be wise
 as serpents, yet innocent as doves." 
I was lucky to have spent those 30 minutes with her.

For Lotte, thinking of you. 
(All photos courtesy of: flickr, and weheartit)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...