Tuesday, January 17, 2012

A Bowl of Soup

Yesterday morning my sister and I went to the store and picked out ingredients for a Monday soup. 
I recently found two soup recipes that I combined together. I love soup, especially in the winter; it seems cozy.
I had a friend who told me her husband liked her soup when it was "hardy", which I translated to mean "soup that has enough substance to it, that I won't be hungry in an hour".
 This soup is a "hardy" soup. I hope you enjoy it! 

Meatball Tortellini Soup
1 Large Egg
1/2 lb Lean Ground Beef
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil (grocery stores carry this in the produce department)
2 Tbsp Seasoned Bread Crumbs
Olive Oil 
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 cup matchstick carrots 
1 cup mushrooms-chopped (optional) 
2 garlic cloves diced
2-3 cups Spinach
2 cartons/cans (32 oz each) Chicken/Vegetable Stock 
2 cups Frozen Cheese Tortellini 
*I really like Buitoni Tortellini, which is not frozen
Salt and Pepper to taste

1. Combine 1 egg, ground beef, fresh basil, and bread crumbs in medium bowl.
Form into small meatballs, 1 tsp each.

2. Brown meatballs on all sides in 2 Tbsp of olive oil on MEDIUM, about five minutes. 
Remove meatballs from heat; save the drippings to put into the broth later (adds nice flavor!) 

3. In a large soup pot, sauté the onions, carrots, mushrooms and diced garlic, in 2 Tbsp of Olive Oil on MEDIUM/LOW for 8-10 min until carrots are slightly tender.

4. Add 2 cartons Chicken Stock to the soup pot.

5. Add meatballs (and drippings), spinach and tortellini. Let simmer on MEDIUM-HIGH  about 5 minutes until pasta is tender. 

6. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with grated cheese (optional) 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...