Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Man Behind the Grinch

Growing up I loved having Horton Hears A Who!, Yertle the Turtle, and How The Grinch Stole Christmas, being read to me by my mom.
After the 2001 movie I Am Sam, where the main character reads Green Eggs and Ham to his daughter, I returned to Dr. Seuss on my own.
*Dr. Seuss' name real name was Theodor Seuss Geisel
*While at Dartmouth College, Geisel was caught drinking gin with nine friends in his room. As a result,  the Dean insisted that he resign from all extracurricular activities, including the college humor magazine, Dartmouth Jack-O-Lantern. To continue work on the Jack-O-Lantern without the administration's knowledge, Geisel began signing his work with the pen name "Seuss"
*Dr. Seuss' first book: And to Think That I Saw It on Mulberry Street, was rejected 27 times
*He went on to publish and illustrate 46 children's books
(Courtesy google, wikipedia, npr)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...